birding-aus

The Cyclist's Defence Against Swooping Magpies

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: The Cyclist's Defence Against Swooping Magpies
From: "Dave & Marj" <>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 16:42:20 +1000
Hi Folks,

I find if riding in a bunch the magpies don't swoop as much as they do to
someone riding alone. They say a pair of painted eyes on the back of the
helmet works....

Now onto birds that don't swoop. Its good to see a bit of water lying in the
paddocks at the moment. Most puddles and dams have white faced herons and
the odd pacific heron. Lots of ducklings about at the moment too. I saw a
couple of dams with a dozen or so Mountain Ducks chicks on them today as I
cycled past (with being swooped by a magpie) :-)

Cheers,

David Cameron
Hamilton