birding-aus

Tasman Booby = Masked Booby

To: "'Chris Sanderson'" <>
Subject: Tasman Booby = Masked Booby
From: "Jeff Davies" <>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 16:12:49 +1000
Masked Boobies all almost certainly going to be personata in the Cairns.

But you should always look for eye colour, its easy to see in a good view
and record your birds as either subspecies so we can learn more about the
distribution of each. I have seen a photo of both taxa standing on a beach
in New Caledonica side by side with the dark eyed bird looking bigger, but
this is probably the only way you will detect size difference and don't
forget that males and females are differently sized.

Once again, it is important to understand that these birds are still only
ssp of Masked Booby so you can't separate them on your Australian list. If
this NZ team have DNA they may well intend to look into species/subspecies
status but thus far this hasn't happened and I have no idea if they intend
to. It wouldn't surprise me if tasmani did eventually become a full species
in light of the Nazca Booby being declared a full taxa but we will just have
to wait and see where this all goes to from here, and I emphasize again they
may always remain subspecies if the science says so.

Cheers Jeff.