birding-aus

Straddy

To: "Birding-Aus \(Forum\)" <>
Subject: Straddy
From: "Chris Corben" <>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 11:37:41 +1000
Hi all

Went to Stradbroke Is, SE Qld yesterday for a short visit. It was great to revisit some of my favourite haunts from the past, and to see that the level of devastation isn't as bad as I may have expected. Bad time of year and boring weather did nothing for my expectations, but a couple of nice birds and some great views of Humpbacked Whales breaching and carrying on with their flippers made it very worth while. I got a Lesser Crested Tern just off Dunwich on the way over, and the best bird was a first year White-fronted Tern (maybe more than one ?) which made a couple of passes quite close to Pt Lookout. There were at least 20 Noddies hanging about off Camel Rock, most seemed to be Commons (as expected) but I might have overlooked a White-capped or two. Plenty of Fluttering/Huttons Shearwaters well out, and Gannets ever-present. Quite a few Bottle-nosed Dolphins, but didn't see any Indo-Pacific Humpbacks. Got a few bats after dark, mostly Gould's Wattled Bats (no surprises there) but a surprise was a Little Eastern Forest Bat (Vespadelus pumilus) at the back of Flinders Beach, not a place I would have expected one.

Cheers, Chris.

Chris Corben