birding-aus

Bowra Birds photo gallery uploaded

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Bowra Birds photo gallery uploaded
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 15:58:09 +1000
Hi,

I have finished uploading photos to my new SmugMug photo gallery: "The Birds of Bowra".
See: http://ptiloris.smugmug.com/
From the entry page click on the "Nature" icon then click on the "The Birds
of Bowra" icon.
Then have fun flicking through the 258 photos of over 100 species.

I have made my identifications in most cases based on my own experience and information resources. In many cases I have attempted to describe the sex and age of the particular bird but I am often not 100% sure. In those cases I have added a (?). Any incorrect identifications are my fault alone and if any one thinks I am wrong in any case or would like to have a go where I haven't been game I would like to hear those opinions and reasons.

Of particular identification concern is the alleged Brown Goshawk (page 15 photo 73). I have added notes to the caption explaining my reasons for make that identification but I would be happy to receive comments with back-up evidence from anyone who believes it is not a Brown Goshawk. I have already received credible comments from one person who believes it is a Collared Sparrowhawk but I have had to say I am not yet dissuaded from my opinion. I am still considering this identification, though. I must say at this point that I am not being deliberately stubborn or pig-headed with this one. It is simply that I am being cautious as I have a personal belief that there is a lot of mis-identifying of these two species. Of course, that may simply be because I am not confident in my own ability. Or that I want it to be a Brown Goshawk to build up my Bowra Bird list; I believe I have recorded 17 of the 18 Hawks, Eagles & Falcons listed so far for Bowra.........if I include Brown Goshawk.

Some of you might also like to have a go at identifying the two species of Corvids in the gallery on page 15.
That could be interesting.

Cheers

Bob Inglis
SE Qld