birding-aus

Bali Trip Report July 2009 - corrected.

To: <>
Subject: Bali Trip Report July 2009 - corrected.
From: "Stanley, Mark M" <>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 10:48:07 +0800
Bali Trip Report July 2009 - corrected.

Thanks to Frank Hemmings for pointing out a couple of errors in my
report:

It was a Javan Myna not "Bali" Myna I may have seen - the glimpse I got
recalled the Jungle Mynas of Singapore (and definitely not a Bali
Starling!). Also it was a White-headed Munia not a White-rumped Munia -
another cut and paste here.

I looked up the illustration of his suggestion of a Javan Grey-throated
White-eye in HBW and its picture is very similar to the birds I saw at
Bedugul. I definitely would not have picked it from the Field Guide so
thanks for his suggestion here. Following the difficulty I had at the
time with identifying the Javan Whistling Thrush from the illustrations
I will treat the pictures with a more sceptical eye in future. The HBW
illustrations of a more orange breasted race of the Golden Whitler is
also much closer to the mark. Next time I go birding in Asia I may need
to hire some porters to haul the 13-16 volumes of HBW around!

A reposting of a corrected version of the report follows

Mark Stanley

We have just had our first family holiday in Bali. The usual constraints
of such trips prevented me from doing justice to Bali's wonderful
birdlife but a few hours at Celu Sewage Farm near Nusa Dua and an early
morning visit to Bedugul Botanic Gardens in the centre of the island
proved very productive. These notes might be useful for those with
similar family generated priorities! Highlights for me were the
Christmas Island Frigatebirds which floated lazily over us on Kuta beach
(always keep a pair of bins handy!), the stunning Small Blue Kingfishers
(should be called Turquoise, not Blue!) at Celu SF, the gorgeous Scarlet
Minivets (another misnomer, the male is orange and the female yellow)
and spectacular Chestnut-backed Scimitar-Babblers at Bedugul Botanic
Gardens, a reasonably close view of a magnificent juvenile
Rufous-bellied Eagle - again at Bedugul and the unexpected find of a
pair of Racket-tailed Treepies in our hotel garden.

I spent my first night at Benoa within walking distance of the Celu
Sewage farm at Nusa Dua. Very well worth a visit - you can even bring
the family and tell them it's a fish farm - it smells less than many
urban streets! The fish are so abundant that it attracts hoards of
herons. One or two Little Egrets were "paddling" around like ducks
picking off the small fish. Others snatched them from the surface in
flight in the manner of a Gull-billed Tern. A couple of shaded watch
towers give very good views over the ponds and I regret not bringing my
scope. The farm opens onto extensive mangroves on the north side. I
would check those out first and retire to the watch towers as the sun
gets higher.
We spent the next two nights at Ubud - the Monkey Forest there was very
unproductive due no doubt to the very high population of monkeys, and I
did not see many species generally at Ubud but a distant view of a Javan
Kingfisher while having breakfast and nesting Javan Munias and Nutmeg
Mannikins in the hotel grounds livened the day.
The next two nights were on the island of Lembongan - where
Lemon-bellied Silvereyes, a restricted range species, are very common
and tame and the Black-naped Monarchs were seen only there. No seabirds
were spotted on the ferry trips to and from except for some terns
inshore.
The last four nights were based in Sanur. From there I took a car up to
Bedugul Botanic Gardens one morning. I would strongly recommend getting
there early. Indonesian Honeyeaters provide a somewhat familiar ring to
the dawn chorus, and the place was alive with birds. I got there at 6:30
after a 90 minute drive from Sanur. By the time I left around 11:00 AM
the park was filling up with noisy parties of schoolkids and tour buses
but I could easily have escaped the hoards and spent the rest of the day
and a few more exploring. Bring a jacket as it is quite cool. A family
visit to the even cooler Mt Batur Volcano produced a Striated Swallow
but very little else of note. Overall, very few raptors were seen on the
reasonably long drives inland - one wonders if this is due to hunting
pressure?

Of the 65 positively identified species, 32 were new to me. When
confronted with numerous new species I found myself note-taking rather
than searching through the field guide (A field guide to the birds of
Borneo, Sumatra, Java, and Bali, the Greater Sunda Islands by: MacKinnon
& Phillips). The guide was generally good but threw me off on a number
of occasions. For example the Javan Whistling-Thrush is unmistakeable
bird but not well illustrated and one really needs to read the separate
text to comfortably identify it. A good guide to the Birds of Bali I
imagine would sell well (- why don't publishers chop down their field
guides - most birdwatchers would fork out for a good local guide on
their travels. A field Guide to the Birds of FNQ anyone?) .

I certainly enjoyed my birdwatching in Bali and it was at least as
interesting as any incidental birdwatching I have managed on
business/holiday trips to Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand. Next time a
cheapy fare comes up at Flight Centre I might just sneak off for a long
weekend of serious birdwatching and get over to western Bali and the
Bali Barat NP.

The following is an annotated list of what was seen 11-20 July 2009.

English                         Latin                           Comments
Little Pied Cormorant           Phalacrocorax melanoleucos      Few at
Celu SF
Christmas Island Frigatebird    Fregata andrewsi                2 over
Kuta Beach
Purple Heron                    Ardea purpurea          Common on reefs
and Celu SF
Great Egret                             Ardea alba
Common on reefs and Celu SF
Intermediate Egret              Mesophoyx intermedia    Few at Celu SF
Little Egret                    Egretta garzetta                V Common
at Celu SF also reefs
Javan Pond-Heron                        Ardeola speciosa
Common in paddy fields and Celu SF
Green-backed Heron              Butorides striatus      Common at Celu
SF
Black-crowned Night-Heron       Nycticorax nycticorax   Common at Celu
SF
Sunda Teal                              Anas gibberifrons
Common at Celu SF
Brahminy Kite                   Haliastur indus         One at Celu SF
Rufous-bellied Eagle            Hieraaetus kienerii     One Juvenile at
Bedugul
White-breasted Waterhen         Amaurornis phoenicurus  Common
Common Sandpiper                        Actitis hypoleucos      Two at
Celu SF
Great Crested Tern              Sterna bergii           Common along
coast
Black-naped Tern                        Sterna sumatrana
One at Lembongan
Little Tern                             Sterna albifrons
Common along coast and at Celu SF
Rock Pigeon                             Columba livia           A few
around Denpasar but not abundant.
Pink-necked Green-Pigeon        Treron vernans          A few at Celu
SFand elsewhere
Grey-cheeked Green-Pigeon       Treron griseicauda      Common at
Bedugul
Linchi Swiftlet                 Collocalia linchi               Very
common everywhere (if one accepts the split from Glossy)
Javan Kingfisher                        Halcyon cyanoventris    One at
Ubud
Collared Kingfisher             Todiramphus chloris     Common
Sacred Kingfisher                       Todiramphus sanctus     Pair in
the mangroves at Celu SF
Small Blue Kingfisher           Alcedo coerulescens     Very Common at
Celu SF
Blue-tailed Bee-eater           Merops philippinus      One at Celu SF &
a few at Lembongan
Flame-fronted Barbet            Megalaima armillaris    A few at Bedugul
Fulvous-breasted Woodpecker     Dendrocopos macei               One in
the mangroves at Celu SF
Pacific Swallow                 Hirundo tahitica                Common
Striated Swallow                        Cecropis striolata      One at
Mt Batur Volcano
White-shouldered Triller        Lalage sueurii          Couple at Celu
SF
Scarlet Minivet                 Pericrocotus flammeus   Three at Bedugul
Black-winged Flycatcher-shrikeHemipus hirundinaceus     One at Bedugul
Sooty-headed Bulbul             Pycnonotus aurigaster   Common along
coast and at Lembongan
Yellow-vented Bulbul            Pycnonotus goiavier     Very common
everywhere
Grey-cheeked Bulbul             Alophoixus bres         Pair at Bedugul
Common Iora                             Aegithina tiphia
Common
Lesser Shortwing                        Brachypteryx leucophrys One at
Bedugul
Javan Whistling-Thrush          Myophonus glaucinus     Three at Bedugul
Pied Bushchat                   Saxicola caprata                A few
pairs at Bedugul
Snowy-browed Flycatcher         Ficedula hyperythra     One at Bedugul
Grey-headed Canary-flycatcher   Culicicapa ceylonensis  Very common at
Bedugul
Pied Fantail                    Rhipidura javanica      Fairly common
everywhere
Black-naped Monarch             Hypothymis azurea               One on
Lembongan
Olive-backed Tailorbird         Orthotomus sepium       Common in hotel
gardens
Bar-winged Prinia                       Prinia familiaris
Very common
Mountain Leaf-Warbler           Phylloscopus trivirgatus        A few at
Bedugul
Chestnut-backed Scimitar-Babbler        Pomatorhinus montanus   A couple
of parties at Bedugul
Golden Whistler                 Pachycephala pectoralis A few at Bedugul
- male grading to orange on breast where yellow meets black.
Great Tit                               Parus major
Everywhere at Bedugul. Completely lacks any yellow on breast and back is
grey not olive compared to the European variety.
Olive-backed Sunbird            Cinnyris jugularis      Very common
Blood-breasted Flowerpecker     Dicaeum sanguinolentum  At Bedugul and
Mt Batur Volcano . Very similar to our Mistletoebird.
Scarlet-headed Flowerpecker     Dicaeum trochileum      A few at Celu SF
Lemon-bellied White-eye         Zosterops chloris               Common
on Lembongan
Indonesian Honeyeater           Lichmera limbata                Abundant
around bottlebrushes at Bedugul BG
Long-tailed Shrike              Lanius schach           One on Lembongan
and another at Bedugul
Black Drongo                    Dicrurus macrocercus    Two at Celu SF
Ashy Drongo                             Dicrurus leucophaeus    Common
at Bedugul
White-breasted Woodswallow      Artamus leucorynchus    Scattered
records of singles
Racket-tailed Treepie           Crypsirina temia                Pair at
Sanur in hotel garden
Short-tailed Starling           Aplonis minor           Very common at
Bedugul. Similar to Phillippine/Asian Glossy Starling of Singapore and
KL but noticeably shorter tail.
Tree Sparrow                    Passer montanus Abundant
White-headed Munia              Lonchura maja   Small
flocks seen at Kuta and Ubud
Javan Munia                             Lonchura leucogastroidesCommon
at Ubud (where actively building nest) and some at Bedugul
Nutmeg Mannikin                 Lonchura punctulata     Common at Ubud -
also building nests.
                        Uncertain species
Little Black Cormorant          Phalacrocorax sulcirostris      A few
thought to be this species at Celu SF but Little Cormorants have not
been ruled out.
Cuckoo-Doves seen at Bedugul could not be ascribed to any species

Plaintive Cuckoo                        Cacomantis merulinus    Cuckoos
poorly seen at Ubud and Bedugul may be this species
Pacific Swift                   Apus pacificus          A white-rumped
swift at the Mt Batur Volcano may have been this species.
Javan Grey-throated White-eye   Lophozosterops javanicus Probably seen
at Bedugul - FG illustrtion very misleading.
Javan Myna                              Acridotheres javanicus  Quick
glimpse of dark Myna while driving around Denpasar maybe this but not a
common bird. I suspect the many stray dogs eat all the available food
scraps, suppressing the Mynas.

This message and any attached files may contain information that is
confidential and/or subject of legal privilege intended only for use by the
intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or the person
responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, be advised
that you have received this message in error and that any dissemination,
copying or use of this message or attachment is strictly forbidden, as is the
disclosure of the information therein. If you have received this message in
error please notify the sender immediately and delete the message.