birding-aus

Barking Owl?; Ground Parrots and other heathbirds, Barren Grounds and Bu

Subject: Barking Owl?; Ground Parrots and other heathbirds, Barren Grounds and Buderoo, NSW
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 16:20:40 -0700 (PDT)
Saturday night and Sunday morning, Martin Cachard (whose Birdline NSW post I
plagiarize here), Exley Steward, Caroline Lacocque (both visiting from
Hongkong), Raja and I visited Barren Grounds:

Saturday night at Barren Grounds:
5 Ground Parrots calling.
While unsuccessfully searching for Potoroo and Spot-tailed Quoll (we did see a
Swamp (Black) Wallaby), we heard several times a distant barking double-hoot
reminiscent of that of a Barking Owl. I know that Jim (forgot his last name,
sorry) had one recently in his backyard nearby, but in general this species
should be very rare there. Trying to get closer along the entrance road, we
also heared a Southern Boobook near the entrance. Maybe the distant double-hoot
was a hoarse Boobook trying to trick us? Or maybe a double-hooting dog?!

Sunday morning
One
Ground Parrot flushed from beside track at 10:30am (seen by Martin, Exley and
Raja). Only one Eastern
Bristlebird was sighted & there was not much singing taking
place. Beautiful Firetails & Southern Emu-wrens also present at
Barren Grounds. A Chestnut-rumped Heathwren was recorded at nearby
Buderoo NP earlier in the day, as were Beautiful Firetails &
Southern Emu-wrens.

Cheers,

Nikolas

Nikolas Haass