birding-aus

Ospreys

To: Shirley Cook <>
Subject: Ospreys
From: Robert Gosford <>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 20:28:26 +0930
Dear all,

Just a note - and I happen to be back on the far south coast of NSW headed northwards later this week. I lived in various parts of the Shoalhaven from 2001 - 2005 and reported (to NPWS and maybe here) on a number of Osprey sightings in the Shoalhaven - during that time I saw a pair talon-tangling over Currarong and saw several individuals near Huskisson on other occasions. I'll ask Mike Jarman when I see him later this week and also the rangers at Booderee NP on Jervis Bay - they may have some more recent sightings than those reported here...
Bob Gosford

Shirley Cook wrote:
Dear all,

Here is a response from Stephen Debus (I had referred Greg Clancy's posting to him):

Hi Shirley,

I suspect that Greg (probaby quite rightly) regards the North report
(which might be quoted in HANZAB-- I haven't checked) as unconfirmed,
and that the 'recent' report for the 1970s wasn't supplied to and
therefore was not in HANZAB.  I think a lot of things come to light
post-HANZAB when people read it and say "But I saw..."  The question
is, why didn't they report it back then, when HANZAB was being
prepared?  All I can add is that I spent a week in each of 4 months
(May, August, Sept. and Oct.) in 1995, surveying raptors, around St
Georges Basin/Jervis Bay NP; I saw plenty of Sea-Eagles (including
nests, which was the aim) but no sign of Ospreys.  And of course
Sea-Eagles and Ospreys are often confused by lay informants, and past
claims, even in the literature, may need verifying.

Cheers,

Steve

Shirley Cook
Secretary/Treasurer