birding-aus

JAMBA nomenclature

To: "Frank O'Connor" <>
Subject: JAMBA nomenclature
From: Dave Torr <>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 07:18:48 +1000
I believe The Eagles said the same thing Frank and did reform - but then
they probably got paid a lot more than C&B!
On a (slightly) more serious note, I often wonder about "official"
checklists both here and in other countries. As we all know, there are
multiple global taxonomies, none of which are any more "official" than
others. In Australia I guess the fact that C&B is an  Australian Museum
production adds a degree of "officialness" to it, but is there any
legislation - either State or Federal - which requires any department (e.g.
an Environmental Agency) to use C&B? If not then I guess the best that can
be said is that it is a "widely accepted checklist produced by a government
agency" - but not really official.
Since most conservation efforts (with the notable exception of the Helmeted
Honeyeater) that I am aware of focus on "species" rather than "subspecies"
(which of course C&B did not list) then obviously there is a degree of value
to an endangered taxa in being elevated to species status, and if C&B aren't
going to do it we have to hope some other person/body take over the role.