birding-aus

Hudsonian Godwit

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Hudsonian Godwit
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 09:40:45 +1000
Continuing a thread from a couple of weeks ago ...

I received my copy of Hayman yesterday, in excellent condition, a
bargain for only about $20 including postage, I should have bought one
years ago.

It looks excellent, BUT ... no pictures of the Hudsonian undertail at
all!  It shows the underwing as a side view with the wings raised.  I
suspect that because it isn't useful for id, they haven't bothered to
show it.  Fair enough, but I think we're entitled to a warning that
you're not going to get a look at the colour of the tail feathers just
by waiting till the bird bends over.  This possibly applies to lots of
species.

At least Pizzey and Knight gives a hint that this might happen by showing the
white coverts extending a little way over the black tail in flight.  It just
goes to show that no field guide is perfect.

Peter Shute