birding-aus

Missing Pardalotes Central Victoria

To: "'Frank Pierce / Janet Mattiske'" <>
Subject: Missing Pardalotes Central Victoria
From: "Bob Cook" <>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 10:43:53 +1000
Hi Frank

Interesting that you have much more consistent records for Spotted than
Striated, whereas we have Spotted less regularly and far fewer birds.  While
we only have 3 years of records, our Striated records look like yours for
Spotted.  I suspect that our environment is probably drier and more open
woodland than yours.

I think Sean's comment about lack of both flowering and lerps in our
Eucalypts may be the principal reason for the lack of birds at present.
Hopefully they will be back soon as they are delightful to have actively
breeding around the place.

We have still had a number of Thornbills around recently, but fewer than
usual and mostly Yellow, Yellow-rumped and Buff-rumped, whereas we more
usually also record Brown, Striated and Weebill.

Bob Cook