birding-aus

RFI - Winter birding destinations/road trip

Subject: RFI - Winter birding destinations/road trip
From: Cheryl Ridge <>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 00:37:18 -0700 (PDT)
Hi folks

After a break from birding due to health issues I am keen to
get out and pick up the camera again. We have leave
commencing shortly so thought we would take the car, include
the tent for some possible camping, and see where we end up.

Unfortunately I have had some trouble accessing the archives
recently to do my own research, thus my RFI here.

Would love to hear from anyone with a suggested sample itinerary
for this time of year. Leaving from Melbourne, duration 7-10 days.
Car is 2wd but with reasonably high clearance.

Our first thoughts were perhaps Wimmera, mallee, riverland
and have done parts before but just not in Winter.

My interest is more in photography (wildlife/nature/landscape),
as opposed to 'twitching'. But the chance to see some special/
seasonal species would be a lovely bonus! Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Cheryl Ridge
Melbourne