birding-aus

Consultants Data

To: <>
Subject: Consultants Data
From: "Chris Brandis" <>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 19:31:39 +1000 (AUS Eastern Standard Time)
Hi all
Further to the EPBCact comments I had the opportunity to supply a consultant
with data of the birds and their status on a site 3 km in from the sea on
Lake Illawarra, 50 Km S of Sydney, gathered over 20 years and when I read
the report I was disappointed to see that the data contained  species such
as several albatrosses, Dingo and Wallaroo. When I questioned the consultant
he said they used the NSW NPWS data base as they were the professionals and
their data was accepted as correct.
I do not know what time bases they use as the last Dingo would have been a
100 years or more ago and what distance from the site is used as there has
been no albatross over the Lake ever.
This brings me to one of my gripes in that there are many data bases of bird
species around the county, some are well scrutinised others are not and in
numerous sites so that a consultant has no option but to use a "recognised"
source, even though it has limitations.
Like they say, divide and conquer.
Cheers  Chris