birding-aus

RFI Cairns 20 June & 10 July

Subject: RFI Cairns 20 June & 10 July
From: Albert Low <>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 16:57:19 +0800
Hi all,
       I will be spending a bit of times in Cairns on the aforementioned
dates in between return flights to and from Papua New Guinea and am
interested to obtain some local information as well as potentially getting
some birding in. I am currently based in Perth and will be visiting Papua
New Guinea for 20 days of birding during this period. I have already opted
for and booked Jetstar flights from Perth to Cairns and Air Niugini flights
from Cairns to Port Moresby. However, due to the nature of these budget
airline flights I have quite a bit of downtime in Cairns in between.
Specifically:

-I arrive in Cairns at 5am on 20th June and only have to catch my onward
flight to Port Moresby the following morning at 7am on 21th June.

-I arrive back in Cairns at around 1030am on 10 July and have time to kill
until my onward flight to Perth at 710pm later the same day.

I have only been to Cairns before once on a family holiday and am interested
in getting in some birding if at all possible. I am a non-driving student so
am willing to pay for fuel and other necessary costs if I could get some
birding in during this downtime. Specifically, some questions that come to
mind are:

1. I am particularly interested to know if it is possible to see Noisy Pitta
& Victoria's Riflebird within a single day in Cairns. With regard to the
much shorter layoff on the return leg, I am open to ideas on where to go. If
anyone is willing and able to show me around for a day and a bit in Cairns,
please let me know.

2. I would like to gather some accomodation information around the Cairns
area. From what I remember of my time there, the main city is quite a
distance from the airport. Can I find out if the airport itself has a
transit lounge or hotel where passengers are potentially allowed to spend
the night (sleeping on chairs etc is fine with me) or would I have no option
but to source for some accomodation elsewhere. If this is the case, is there
any accomodation near the airport or would taxis be needed for transfers?

Thanks in advance for any help provided on this matter.

Regards,