birding-aus

Cooktown

To: C Port <>
Subject: Cooktown
From: David Stowe <>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 22:06:20 +1000
Hi Christina,
I would recommend Lloyd Neilsen's book "Birds of Queensland's Wet tropics and Great Barrier Reef" very highly. It has some great locations around Cooktown not to mention the rest of teh wet tropics. I have used it extensively over the past few years.
I was up there briefly overnight a couple of weeks ago.
Depends on what you are after but definitely spend some time along the Shiptons Flat rd south of Cooktown. Road is clearly marked off the highway about 20min ? south of town. Then take marked RH turn after the Lions Den pub. I looked unsuccesfully for White-streaked Honeyeater along here but this is the most reliable southern most spot to see them apparently. Nice birds were Northern fantail, Graceful HE, Little Shrike-thrush, Spotted Catbird, White-throated HE, Black Butcherbird etc Keatings Lagoon just south of town is a nice spot to spend an hour or two. Right on the main rd - easy to find.

If you are driving from Cairns there was a great looking wetland about 20min after Lakeland which we didn't have time to stop at on the RHS of the road. Not signposted or anything and probably private property but stopping on the side of the raod would be all you needed to do anyway. Also if you are driving up there i would suggest doing so in the daytime - unless you want to see alot of Barn Owls and large cows at very close quarters!

Let me know if you want anymore info anyway.

Cheers
Dave