birding-aus

Green Rosella- Eastern Rosella wild hybrid

Subject: Green Rosella- Eastern Rosella wild hybrid
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 13:02:28 +1000
Hello all,

While looking at properties in the last week I observed what appeared to be a hybrid Eastern/ Green Rosella with a normal Green Rosella at Molesworth (SE Tasmania between Collinsvale and New Norfolk, south of the Derwent River, 30 km west of Hobart CBD). On first glance it appeared to be a normal Eastern. I realised that it was associating with a Green amd then noticed that it had a pale blue cheek patch with a darker blue lower edge to the patch. It was also possibly larger than usual. It was upon my realisation that both rosellas flew off preventing me from making a closer examination.

I did a small amount of research and apparently this has been reported before but I presume it is quite rare. No Tasmanian jokes now, please.

Cheers

Mick Todd

--

Michael Todd