birding-aus

Little Eagle at Prospect Reservoir

Subject: Little Eagle at Prospect Reservoir
From: Ákos Lumnitzer <>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 12:14:28 +1000 (EST)
It is now 12:10 and approximately ten minutes ago I was standing at the
rear of my work facility on the east side of Prospect Reservoir at Picrite
Close and heard the guttural croaking that was made by a White-faced
Heron. As I turned to face the field to my west I saw the heron in pursuit
of a raptor about the size of a Swamp Harrier. However, as the bird of
prey reached the trees lining the roadway of the reservoir, another
attacker emerged in the form of an Australian Raven, which made the raptor
turn side on with the underside perfectly showing revealing the perfect
white M shape on the underside of a light morph Little Eagle. Then it
turned in my direction, gaining altitude and flew about 40m away but above
me still giving me fabulous looks.

What a sight! :)

Regards

--