birding-aus

Eurasian Curlew and Lake Eyre

To: "BirdAlert" <>, "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Eurasian Curlew and Lake Eyre
From: "Bill Moorhead" <>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 09:35:10 +1000
Just a follow up on the Eurasian Curlew. Jack and I saw the it also at 9am Sat 9th May at Richard's Point ( just on the Broome township side of the BBO). Most of the remaining Eastern Curlews (about 60 I estimate) seem to congregate on those points near high tide. We had 9.2 and 9.3m highs on both Friday and Saturday mornings when we saw the bird each time ,and I suspect, tides lower than 8m may result in the birds not congregating and being difficult to work out which one is the Eurasian. It was only in flight each time that I was satisfied that I was looking at it (despite probably seeing it amongst the flock). No doubt others would be better at differentiating the individuals whilst they are standing than myself. Many of the remaining Eastern Curlews also appeared almost as light on the belly. There are also at least the same number of Whimbrels ,so beware of their pale rumps also. We saw no Broad-billed Sandpipers, Common Redshanks ,Asian Dowitchers, Franklins Gull, wagtails or interesting swifts but a great twitch non-tha-less. There appears to be every chance that it may well over-winter so anyone interested should contact the BBO for updates. We also had a look on the Roebuck Plains. We saw no Yellow Chats but there are still some freshwater holes.....best being 12 Glossy Ibis and a low soaring pale phase Little Eagle. An early evening Northern Nail-tailed Wallaby was interesting also on the drive out. The other reason for the note is to suggest that people flying over take the Melbourne to Broome direct flight if possible on at least one leg of the journey. It flies with Qantas to and from Melbourne every Sunday. We had spectacular views of Lake Eyre North in flood and well as reasonable views of Uluru and Kata Juta also. Aboriginal leader, Mick Dodd, was in the seat in front of us . And on our connection flight back to Brisbane we had Luke Power (Brisbane Lions) waiting to pick up his bags also...Jack was impressed
Cheers,
Bill
Thanks to Dean and my sister Bridgid for the accommodation, lend of vehicle and the Crown Lagers ,and Karen for organizing the logistics once more. It was great to catch up with Richardo Baxter and his birder son, Damian who lives in Perth