birding-aus

How to get to the Abrolhos?

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: How to get to the Abrolhos?
From: "Peter Marsh" <>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 12:23:07 +1000
Dear Birders,
I am contemplating a trip to the Abrolhos Islands late in the year with the
specific intention of looking for Lesser Noddy. So far my enquiries have found
a company offering a minimum 3 day trip at a cost of $900 per person  and
requiring a requirement for 10 participants.

Firstly is there any interest by others in joining a trip from Geraldton for 3
days to the Abrolhos on (say)  6 to 8 November 2009. It would be possible to
sleep on the boat on the night of the 5th. All food on the 6 and 7 th and B&L
on the 8th would be included. Three days has the advantage that we could
presumably visit all three islands where the birds breed, Wooded and Morley
Islands in the Easter Group and Pelsaert Island in the Mangrove Group. It would
also give time for other birding, snorkelling etc. The cost Geraldton to
Geraldton would be $900 each (myself included).

Secondly does anyone have any alternative ideas on how to get out with a firm
possibility of seeing the Lesser Noddies for a lesser time and lower cost?

 I have previously flown out to the Abrolhos (not in nesting period) and doubt
that flying is an option unless one could gurantee the availability of a boat
on Rat Island that could take one to Morley or Wooded Island.

I would propose to fly from Perth to Geraldton and to hire a car to come back
via Paynes Find to provide an opportunity to look for Grey Honeyeater. If
anyone was interested in sharing for that leg I would be interested.
Regards
Peter Marsh
Birchgrove, Sydney
0414 810 426