birding-aus

RFI Wikipedia page

To: "'John Leonard'" <>, "'Birding-aus'" <>
Subject: RFI Wikipedia page
From: "Paul Dodd" <>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 14:48:03 +1000
John,

You are probably referring to "Olduvai Theory"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olduvai_theory) where industrial civilisation
has a life-expectancy of 100 years (due to expire in 2030).

Alternatively you could be referring to Malthusian Catastrophe
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malthusian_catastrophe) which is probably
slightly more rigorous, mathematically.

Failing that, Wikipedia has a page on Human Extinction
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_extinction) that lists these and other
"theories" - either mathematically rigorous or crackpot, and everything in
between.

To my mind these theories are a little simplistic. I think there are rather
more variables to human society than can be reliably modelled using the
proceeding two theories, but that's just me...

Paul Dodd
Docklands, Victoria