birding-aus

weekend birdlist

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: weekend birdlist
From: "Vader Willem Jan Marinus" <>
Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 13:53:26 +0200
                                         HOW LONG WAS ADAM IN PARADISE?

This Norwegian expression came to mind, when i woke up this morning , and
I saw that the wonderful summer weather of yesterday had morphed into
low-hanging clouds, drizzle to seep-rain, and 4-6*C today How nice that I
decided to take the longer trip yesterday!

I was back at Tisnes for a while today, nevertheless; these days something
happens almost every day. I came across a quite large flock of small birds
on the grassland there, but could not get them to sit still, so I saw only
a few of the birds sufficiently well to identify them: Meadow Pipits and
Twite. There were also a few more colourful birds among them; though,
buntings, maybe? One bedraggled-looking White Wagtail had also returned to
one of the farms here, and in the wetland, where all the Common Gulls now
were back in the colony, I found the first Ruff of the season, while two
Redshanks were actively foraging near the mouth of the little river.

At the airport a large flock of some 60 Bar-tailed Godwits were present ,
where Saturday there were none.

I thought it might be of some interest to give you a birdlist of my
activities this weekend: 1 is the trip to Kvalsund on Thursday afternoon,
2 is Tisnes on Friday, 3 is the long Balsfjord trip yesterday, and 4 is
the short trip to Tisnes today, Sunday 3 May. The asterisked birds were
seen for the first time this year in the Tromsø area
White-billed Diver (Yellow-billed Loon)                              4
(three on the sound)
Slavonian (Horned) Grebe                                               3
( three 'Balsfjord bottom)
Common Cormorant                                                 1,2,3,4
Grey Heron
1,2,3
*Pink-footed Goose                                                   2,4
Greylag Goose
1,2,3,4
Shelduck                                                                 3
Wigeon
1,2,3,4
Teal
2
Mallard
1,2,3,4
*Tufted Duck                                                           3
(One pair on shore, Stornes)
Common Eider                                                       1,2,3,4
Long-tailed Duck                                                    1
Common Scoter                                                      2,3,4
Velvet Scoter                                                           3
Red-breasted Merganser                                         1,2,3,4
White-tailed Sea Eagle                                            1,2,3,4
(As you can see, a common  bird here)
Willow Grouse                                                         4
Oystercatcher
1,2,3,4
*Golden Plover
1,2,3,4 (Just arrived, still in large flocks)
Northern Lapwing                                                     1,2,4
(Strangely missing yesterday)
*Dunlin
2 (A flock of c 20)
*Ruff
4 (A single brown-collared male)
*Bar-tailed Godwit
3,4 (Only one yesterday, 50-60 today)
*Whimbrel
3 (A single one at tennes)
Curlew
1,2,3,4
*Redshank                                                                4
(two at Tisnes)
Common Gull
1,2,3,4
*Lesser Black-backed Gull                                         3 (Two
at Nordkjosbotn)
*Iceland Gull
2 (One 3k at Tisnes, very late for this northern gull)
Herring Gull
1,2,3,4
Great Black-backed Gull
1,2,3,4
*Common Guillemot (Murre)                                        1
Razorbill
1
Black Guillemot                                                         1
Little Auk (Dovekie)                                                    1
Feral Pigeon
present
Woodpigeon                                                              2
(first time I have seen thise at Tisnes)
*Short-eared Owl                                                         2
(heard only)
*Meadow Pipit
2,4
*White Wagtail
1,4 (One at Rakfjord, one at Tisnes
*Dunnock
3 (Singing at Andersdalen)
(*Ring Ouzel
3 (I thought I heard the song at Andersdalen, but far away)
*Fieldfare
1,2,3,4
*Redwing
1,2,3,4
*Song Thrush                                                             3
(Singing at Andersdalen)
*Chiffchaff
3 (Several singing at Andersdalen)
Great Tit
1,3
Magpie
1,2,3,4
Hooded Crow
1,2,3,4
Northern Raven
1,3
Starling
1,2,3,4
House Sparrow                                                            3
(Not all that common here, outside town)
Chaffinch
3
*Brambling
3 (Two singing at Andersdalen)
Greenfinch
1,2,3
Twite
4 (Several at Tisnes)
Redpoll
in my garden
Bullfinch
3
*Reed Bunting                                                            2
(two at Tisnes)

As you can see, this is the time that many migrants return. never a dull
moment.

                                                                Wim Vader,
Tromsø Museum
                                                                9037