birding-aus

Tasmania - an extended trip

To: <>
Subject: Tasmania - an extended trip
From: "Noel Luff" <>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 09:50:20 +1000
On 18 January 2009 my wife & I left Melbourne Port on the Spirit of Tasmania
for a daylight crossing of the Bass Strait. This was the start of an 11 week
trip that would take us to most parts of Tasmania. The main purpose of the
visit was to do tourist type things, however bird watching did feature rather
prominently in the itinerary.

I had had two previous visits to Tasmania and my state list before this trip
stood at 87. My aim was to make this number 150 (excluding birds seen on
palegics) and to see all the endemic sub-species. On both counts I failed.
Seven of the sub-species failed to show and my final total was 136.

Highlights (birdwise) were:

            King Penguin - Freycinet NP

            Mottled Petrel - Eaglehawk palegic.

            Gould's Petrel - Eaglehawk palegic

            White-chinned Petrel - Eaglehawk palegic

            Buller's Albatross - Eaglehawk palegic

            Common Diving-Petrel - Eaglehawk palegic & Spirit of Tasmania

            White-faced Storm-Petrel -- Eaglehawk palegic & Spirit of Tasmania

            Blue-winged Parrots - near Lake Pedder

            Orange-bellied Parrot - Melaleuca

            Spotted Quail-thrush - near Saint Helens

            Southern Emu-wren - near Strahan airport

            I had little luck with night birds (my spot light failed) and swamp
birds (Tasmania is in drought and a lot of the swamps are dry).

            An annotated list is available for anyone who is interested

Noel Luff