birding-aus

hummingbird in the Seychelles

To: John Leonard <>
Subject: hummingbird in the Seychelles
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 20:11:54 +1000
Hi John,

I think what the person is seeing is the Hummingbird Hawk-moth
Macroglossum stellatarum. They are often mistaken for Hummingbirds.
They are very widespread, and occur from Europe through to Japan and
down into Africa, so I would imagine that they would also be found in the Seychelles. I did a double-take the first time I saw them in
Southern France. They are fascinating to watch as go from flower to
flower and then hover in front of a flower and extend an incredibly
long tongue into a flower to suck nectar. The make quite a loud
humming noise, particularly when they hover. They are also grey in
colour. You can read all about them at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macroglossum_stellatarum

Cheers,

Carl Clifford