birding-aus

whip birds

To: <>, <>, BirdingAus <>
Subject: whip birds
From: Judith Hoyle <>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 23:24:53 +0000
Hi All,

Thought I would comment on this thread because I also find the calls of
Whipbird intriguing and quite enigmatic.

A couple of months ago we were birding at Boombana near Mt Nebo and were
listening to the song of a Whipbird.  The song was of a similar timbre and
quality to that of a Lyrebird - complex and very beautiful.  In all my years
birding I had never heard one sing like this.  In fact it wasn't until I found
the bird and watched it sing that I accepted that I was listening to a Whipbird!

Also thought I would add the female side to Whipbird duets.  The normal
response call from the female is 'choo choo', or similar.  We have noticed that
the females at Gold Creek Reserve have a response call not unlike part of the
call of the Grey Shrike-thrush.  Apols for not being the best at phonetic
representations, but it sounds a bit like 'oh boy', with a pronounced upward
inflection on the 'boy' part of the call.

Regards

Judith

Judith Hoyle
Brisbane