birding-aus

parrots and bee sting dangers

Subject: parrots and bee sting dangers
From: "Donald G. Kimball" <>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 22:21:34 -0700
I was going over some footage of Turquoise parrots in NSW and I noticed at
the water hole they were drinking that there were dozens of bees flying
helter skelter over the water and very near the Turq's.  A couple of times I
could actually see the little birds wince as if the bees were too close for
comfort and even jump and flutter out of the way when bees came too close to
them.  Perhaps there is a avian vet among us who could answer my question.
What if any physical danger do bees pose to a little bird like Turquoise
parrots?  Do these little parrots know instinctively that bees could do a
number on them so to speak?  Thanks very much for considering my question.

Don Kimball