birding-aus

RE: birding-aus Digest, Vol 36, Issue 45

To: <>
Subject: RE: birding-aus Digest, Vol 36, Issue 45
From: James Lambert <>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 23:13:03 +1000

Hi Wendy

Attached below is my bird list for Singapore. It includes a number of birds not
on the other posted list.

I saw these at various places including MacRitchie National Park (getting a
taxi there early in the morning before sun-up is cheap and easy); walking along
East Beach Park, and just parks and trees around the city. On a busy city
street I saw Sunda Pygmy Woodpecker!

I also tried out Bukit Timah, but it didn't have much when I was there (July
2006), quite disturbed by numerous hikers. Still, maybe I was just unlucky. I
saw the best birds - Pied Hornbills, Blue-rumped Parrot, kingfishers, bulbuls
and sunbirds - at MacRitchie. Make sure you carefully inspect any of the really
large trees - these represent primary habitat and so will attract different
birds than those attracted to the secondary growth.

The famous Sungei Buloh wetlands are good for migrating birds, but you won't be
there during the migration time, so mostly there are just nesting herons and
egrets.

Somewhat ironical for Aussie birders is the fact that catching sight of Common
Mynas is now difficult because these birds, although native to Singapore, are
decreasing in numbers under pressure from the introduced Javan Mynas!! You can
hardly walk ten feet in Singapore without see the Javans...but the poor
Commoneys....

Also, check out the links at

http://www.fatbirder.com/links_geo/asia/singapore.html

James

Coppersmith Barbet, Megalaima heamacephala
Sunda Pygmy Woodpecker, Dendrocopos moluccensis
Banded Woodpecker, Picus mineaceus
Oriental Pied Hornbill, Anthracoceros albirostris
Blue-Throated Bee-Eater, Merops viridis
Blue-Eared Kingfisher, Alcedo meninting
White-Throated Kingfisher, Halcyon smyrnensis
Stork-Billed Kingfisher, Pelargopsis capensis
Collared Kingfisher, Todiramphus chloris
Common Koel, Eudynamys scolopacea
Long-Tailed Parakeet, Psittacula longicauda
Blue-Rumped Parrot, Psittinus cyanurus
Germain's Swiftlet, Collocalia germani
Asian Palm Swift, Cypsiurus balasiensis
Feral Pigeon, Columba livia
Spotted Turtledove, Streptopelia chinensis
Thick-Billed Green Pigeon, Treron curvirostra
Pink-Necked Green Pigeon, Treron vernans
White-Breasted Waterhen, Amaurornis phoenicurus
White-Bellied Sea-Eagle, Haliaeetus leucogaster
Brahminy Kite, Haliastur indus
Purple Heron, Ardea purpurea
Striated Heron, Butorides striatus
Pied Triller, Lalage nigra
Large-Billed Crow, Corvus marcorhynchos
House Crow, Corvus splendens
Orange-Bellied Flowerpecker, Dicaeum trigonostigma
Greater Racket-Tailed Drongo, Dicrurus paradiseus
Pacific Swallow, Hirundo tahitica
Asian Fairy Bluebird, Irena puella
Crimson Sunbird, Aethopyga siparaja
Olive-Backed Sunbird, Nectarinia jugularis
Black-Naped Oriole, Oriolus chinensis
Common Iora, Aegithina tiphia
Eurasian Tree Sparrow, Passer montanus
Red-Eyed Bulbul, Pycnonotus brunneus
Yellow-Vented Bulbul, Pycnonotus goiavier
Olive-Winged Bulbul, Pycnonotus plumosus
Cream-Vented Bulbul, Pycnonotus simplex
Javan Myna, Acridotheres javanicus
Common Myna, Acridotheres tristis
Asian Glossy Starling, Aplonis panayensis
Dark-Necked Tailorbird, Orthotomus atrogularis
Striped Tit Babbler, Macronous gularis
Short-Tailed Babbler, Malacocincla malaccensis

Looking to change your car this year? Find car news, reviews and more
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fsecure%2Dau%2Eimrworldwide%2Ecom%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Fa%2Fci%5F450304%2Fet%5F2%2Fcg%5F801459%2Fpi%5F1004813%2Fai%5F859641&_t=762955845&_r=tig_OCT07&_m=EXT==============================www.birding-aus.org