birding-aus

King Quails

To: <>
Subject: King Quails
From: <>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 11:22:40 +1100
G'day all.

On two consecutive days last week whilst birdwatching at a site at Emu Plains
(next to the Nepean River west of Sydney) I saw what I was sure were many King
Quail. I must have disturbed about 20 birds into flight at different times, and
managed to get decent enough looks at a couple that I stalked on the track
ahead of me to distinguish them as female King Quails. I would normally tick
them off as just that, but of all the birds I saw on the ground or in the air
not one appeared to be a male. Are male KQ's particularly secretive, or does
just a dominant male have the colour, or am I Iooking at Brown Quail ?  I will
have any ideas.
(This spot is a great birding site by the way - called Emu Green, an open area
with tall native and exotic grasses with a few stands of casuarina, eucaplypt
and exotic trees.It's bounded and by a bend of the river, Wedmore Rd and
farmland, access via dirt track at the northern end of Russell St.)

Cheers,
Mark Ley.