birding-aus

Strange Golden Plover at Boat Harbour, Sydney

To: Tun Pin Ong <>
Subject: Strange Golden Plover at Boat Harbour, Sydney
From: David Stowe <>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 18:35:43 +1100
Interestingly there were no other birders there at lunchtime today just after peak high tide. There were however more people and vehicles than i have ever seen down there before. As Tun Pin has mentioned the plumage didn't seem any different to when i was there 10 days ago. Although the birds flew a few times i wasn't able to get any decent photos. The smaller birds (including the plovers) were 'sheltering' behind the large tern/gull flock and i wasn't able to stalk around the terns without swimming or putting everything up. So i had to make do with being able to get within 5m of a Little Pied Cormorant and 5-6m of a Pied Cormorant that flew in close to me! What a gorgeous bird! it actually distracted me from my target but Tun Pin got better photos yesterday anyway so not too fussed :)

The interesting thing about all the people was that the majority were on the sand and the only people that disturbed the birds were a couple of surfers coming back in across the rocks and a couple going for a walk along the rocks. Yes the birds did fly a few of times but no further than they did when the tide receded and they went out to the exposed reef to start feeding (in fact the reef was much further away).

Cheers
Dave