birding-aus

CHRISTMAS & COCOS FEB 09 TRIP REPORT

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: CHRISTMAS & COCOS FEB 09 TRIP REPORT
From: Richard Baxter <>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 02:59:05 -0700 (PDT)

From: Richard Baxter <>
Subject: CI trip report

CI/Cocos Trip
Report Feb 2009

have recently returned from two very enjoyable one week birding trips to
Australia’s Christmas Island and the Cocos-keeling Islands.

Participants: Richard Baxter (Guide), Xenia Dennett, Sue Abbotts, Frank
O’Connor, Bill & Jack Moorhead, Carl Billingham, Klaus and Brenda Uhlenhut,
Karen Blake, Peter Marsh, Paul Taylor, Lisa & Peter Cockram, Greg &
Alana Dare and the Thursday Nutters from WA.

On
both trips we arrived late Monday afternoon on West Island, Cocos and made a mad
dash for Bechet Besar wetlands.
Two weeks earlier, whilst in the Torres Strait a couple of us had heard
of TWO Javan Pond Herons reported on Cocos by John Barkla and we were keen to
see if they were still there.  Within minutes of dashing out of the
terminal we were in our hire cars heading for the wetlands.

The two JAVAN POND HERONS stayed for the
entire fortnight and many of us quietly visited the wetlands obtaining excellent
views. Standing at the edge of the wetlands, behind a palm frond, you could see
the two pond herons feeding in the shallow water with a couple of WHITE-BREASTED
WATERHEN nearby and 4-5 PIN-TAILED SNIPE probing the mud a few meters away.
Fantastic birding!

We visited South Island and located nine
SAUNDER’S TERN resting on the sand bars offshore.  An enjoyable trip to South
Island was
enhanced by a swim, drinks and a snack on one of the uninhabited islands in the
lagoon.  We also visited Home Island
several times and searched the grounds of the Clunies Ross mansion for Asian
Koel without success.

During the first week we managed to get to
North Keeling Island.  We walked the
island for three hours seeing tens of thousands of seabirds as well as the local
Buff-banded Rail ssp.  Species seen
included nesting Masked Booby, Red-footed Booby, Brown Booby, Lesser
Frigatebird, Great Frigatebird, Common Noddy and Sooty Tern.  As well as these
we also had good views
of White-tailed Tropicbird and White Tern.

During the week we visited the sand flats
adjacent to the runway and spotted several WESTERN REEF EGRETS feeding in the
area, as well as two Oriental Pratincole.
Our trip to Horsburgh Island revealed the Northern Asian ssp of
Dollarbird as well as the usual Christmas Island White-eye.  Several of us
snorkelled on the wreck
inside the lagoon for an hour or so prior to returning for a relaxing afternoon
on West Island.

Whilst lined up at the Cocos airport check-in,
Mohammad from Parks Australia-Cocos told me he saw a WATERCOCK near the jetty
early that morning.   This news
coincided with the news that the plane was 45min late, so we all jumped back in
our hire cars and spent an hour searching the area.  We were unsuccessful in
our search but I
believe the chance of it turning up at Bechet Besar wetlands to be pretty good.

On Friday afternoon we arrived on Christmas
Island and began our search for the island’s endemics.  Those that had been to
CI previously,
began to explore the islands hot spots on their own, while the rest of us had
good views of LINCHI SWIFTLET, ISLAND THRUSH, CI IMPERIAL PIGEON, CI FRIGATEBIRD
and the local ssp of Emerald Dove.
The following morning we were up and about early seeing, TREE SPARROW,
JAVA SPARROW and during the day CI GOSHAWK, Great Frigatebird, Brown and
Red-footed Booby as well as Red-tailed Tropicbird. Up on the plateau we stopped
adjacent to some tall rainforest trees and found 3-5 ABBOTT’S BOOBY on their
nests.

The rest of the day was taken up exploring
further afield as well as stopping to take lots of photos of Red, Blue and
Robber (Coconut) Crabs. The pond at LB3 had its usual shallow fresh water had
100+ frigatebirds coming in to drink.
I reckon at least 1000+ photos were taken here in less than
15min!

We had excellent views of the final endemic
CHRISTMAS ISLAND HAWK OWL at both the golf course and garbage tip as well as a
brief search for nightjars at the airport.

At the end of both weeks it was a fifty-fifty
choice for ‘best bird of the trip’.
Javan Pond Heron Vs Golden Bosun.
Just about every trip Golden Bosun is voted favourite bird but I think it
was just nudged out this year by the JPHs.
Three people had twitched it in Darwin and dipped, making the Cocos birds
“unfinished business” for them.

I’ll be returning to both islands again in Nov
09 & March 2010.

NOTE: After numerous requests/emails over many
years I’ve decided to run a Christmas & Cocos Tour during the
school/semester holidays.  I’ve
chosen the 11th-18th January
2010.

Cheers
Richard
BaxterBirding
Tours Australia

      Enjoy a better web experience. Upgrade to the new Internet Explorer 8
optimised for Yahoo!7. Get it now.