birding-aus

Probable AGP at Boat Harbour

To: "'Chris Sanderson'" <>, "'L&L Knight'" <>
Subject: Probable AGP at Boat Harbour
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 16:42:21 +1030
And it empties the pockets.

-----Original Message-----
From:
 On Behalf Of Chris Sanderson
Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:27 PM
To: L&L Knight
Cc: Peter Marsh; birding-aus

A pilot friend related an interesting story to me a while ago along
these lines.  A wealthy US twitcher who had visited Australia a number
of times had missed one of our iconic birds, the Black Grasswren.  He
flew from Dallas, Texas, to Sydney (via LA I'd imagine), and then hopped
on a flight to Kununurra via Darwin.  My friend flew him in a light
aircraft to somewhere near the Mitchell Plateau where he was met by a
helicopter.  This is all non-stop travel mind you, no stops in between.
The helicopter flew him to the top of the plateau where a guide found
him the Grasswrens within less than an hour.  Upon seeing the birds, he
jumped back in the helicopter and flew all the way back to the US.
Total flying time around 3 days, less than an hour spent looking for one
species.

It boggles the mind!

Regards,
Chris