birding-aus

More North Queensland Birds

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: More North Queensland Birds
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 12:06:26 +1000
G'day,
Phil's email must have brought in the rain!

Yesterday I noticed a marked rise in the frequency I was seeing raptors, mostly kites, but there was one beautiful male Swamp Harrier. I was hoping that he would put up snipe over a drying wetland in a paddock north of Kairi but no such luck. There was a single second year Brolga there, lots of Lapwings, two pair of Black Duck but no Snipe seen or heard.

A few Fairy Martins were flying around Pelican Point Tinaroo. The road there has been recently graded but two washouts across the road remain as drains so access by conventional vehicle is difficult.

White-headed Pigeon numbers are increasing in Yungaburra but not yet back to the hundreds of pre cyclone Larry. Topknots are also being seen in greater numbers again.

On the wires on the way home I saw a single young Dollarbird. There have been a number of sightings of Sacred Kingfisher as they move through. Little Kingfisher spotted rarely on Peterson Creek, Yungaburra and quite regularly at Tarzalli Lakes Fish Farm. The snipe seem to have gone from there too but I called their absence from another site too early.

Regards,
Alan Gillanders

Alan's Wildlife Tours
2 Mather Road