birding-aus

Re: Bowra Station, Queensland

To: <>
Subject: Re: Bowra Station, Queensland
From: Dean Portelli <>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 21:59:23 +1100
Hi David and b-aussers,

 The details of the future management of Bowra have yet to be worked out at
this stage as discussions are still being had between AWC and Bowra's owners.
But note that AWC permits birdwatchers on some of its other properties. They
appear to manage each sanctuary individually, i.e. there isn't much consistency
across sanctuaries - no doubt because each sanctuary has unique issues
associated with various aspects regarding its management. AWC is very much
aware of the interests that birdwatchers have in Bowra as it received many
letters of support for its acquisition, so I'm sure it will be considered in
fairness.

 With regards to use of photos and copyright issues. I am aware of this
applying at Mornington Sanctuary (at least in a couple of cases), but I am not
aware of it elsewhere. Last year I was up at Piccaninny Plains Sanctuary in
North QLD and there were no discussions regarding copyright of the photos that
people were taking on the site. I'd advise not to bring up the issue unless the
AWC does.

All the best

Dean

> CC:
> Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] Re: Bowra Station, Queensland
> Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 19:43:24 +1100
>
> Does anyone know anything specific about what access etc will be
> allowed under AWC's ownership?
> It would be such a shame if the birders who love it so much and have
> wanted such an outcome were not able to visit there as they do now.
>
> Also I have heard that when photographing in a particular AWC reserve
> that AWC reserve copyright of images taken on their property??
> Can anyone comment on whether this is true or false?
>
> Cheers,
> David Stowe
>
> PS - no i am not negative at all towards AWC in case my questions give
> that impression. I am very glad that it will be saved!
>

> On 25/03/2009, at 1:53 PM, Dean Portelli wrote:
>

> Hi all,
>

> It is indeed excellent news that the AWC has finally decided to
> purchase Bowra Station and add it to their impressive collection of
> sanctuaries across Australia. I urge all birding-aus contributors,
> especially those that have visited Bowra and observed first-hand the
> significance of this piece of land for the conservation of Australia's
> biodiveristy to donate. <4% of land in the Mulga Lands Bioregion
> (which covers much of south-west QLD and north-west NSW) is currently
> protected, so any addition, particularly those that expand the
> diversity of habitats, flora and fauna found within this bioregion (as
> Bowra does) will improve our efforts to conserve Australia's
> biodiversity.
>

> To answer Tony's question regarding ongoing funding for the property.
> AWC has of course considered this as part of the proposal to purchase
> Bowra, which had to go through a lengthy process of being approved
> within the organisation and for funding to be secured from the Federal
> government. The way this will be taken care of will be similar to how
> AWC has continued to manage its other properties that were also
> acquired through public donations. I don't think there should be a
> concern about the AWC's ability to continue management of this
> property in the long-term as it has demonstrated an ability to do this
> with many sanctuaries. If adequate funds are raised the future of
> Bowra will then be secure, which I know will be good news to many
> people who have contributed to discussions about this property.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Dean

> Looking to change your car this year? Find car news, reviews and more
> http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fsecure%2Dau%2Eimrworldwide%2Ecom%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Fa%2Fci%5F450304%2Fet%5F2%2Fcg%5F801459%2Fpi%5F1004813%2Fai%5F859641&_t=762955845&_r=tig_OCT07&_m=EXTwww.birding-aus.org
> birding-aus.blogspot.com
>
> To unsubscribe from this mailing list,
> send the message:
> unsubscribe
> to:

View photos of singles in your area. Click Here
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fdating%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fchannel%2Findex%2Easpx%3Ftrackingid%3D1046247&_t=773166080&_r=Hotmail_Endtext&_m=EXT==============================www.birding-aus.org