birding-aus

FW: Birding in South Malaysia and Singapore

To: <>
Subject: FW: Birding in South Malaysia and Singapore
From: "Steve Potter" <>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 21:32:26 +1030
Hi,

Just return from a trip to Singapore and South Malaysia,

I had a conference in Malaysia at the Tanjong Puteri Golf resort for 3 days
and found it a fabulous place to stay and bird. It is a huge area that I
only covered a small part of, but I am sure it holds many birds other than
what I saw on a 1 hour walk on one of the days. The notables for me where,
Common Kingfisher, Chinese Pond Heron, Blue Throated Bee-eater.

In Singapore I had a couple of quick visits. One to Fort Canning in the
centre of town. A busy place especially on weekends but always full of
surprises, including Crow-billed Drongo this time. The other place was a
quick stroll through the Botanic Gardens which is always fun and
particularly when I picked up Lineated Barbet.

But most of all, I had an outstanding time at Pulau Ubin!! An Island off to
the east of Singapore accessible by a quick ferry ride from Changi Village.
Starting at 8.15 after waiting 1 hour for enough people to get the ferry
going (so much for the arrive early idea) I birded on foot to the left of
the jetty to around the reservoir. Brilliant. Then headed back to the ferry
village, grabbed a bike and headed out to Chek Jawa for the reef and
mangrove boardwalk.

The highlight among many were the resident Oriental Pied Hornbills which are
Awesome!!!

Here is the list. I had an amazing time there and finished it up with the
best steak and pepper meal I have ever tasted. $10. This place is well worth
the visit if you have a spare day in Singapore.

Waiting for the ferry at Changi:

Tanimbar Corella

Pulau Ubin:

Red Junglefowl