birding-aus

Thanks

Subject: Thanks
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 13:58:54 +0900

Thanks again to the many people in the birding-aus community for their help on places to go birding near Sydney.

I arrived at the boat harbour on Friday afternoon at about 15:20. The golden plovers were offshore. But the tide was rising, so I sat down and waited. Stan and Janine had a scope so we could monitor them. A few other people started to arrive including Philip Brook who I hadn't seen since about 2000 on a tour to Gluepot.. Everything else left the rock in dribs and drabs but the plovers remained steadfast. I then realised that I had picked the neap tide, and maybe they wouldn't be pushed off. With high tide at 17:15 and 17:00 ticking past, I was having doubts. We thought that we could pick the bird in the distance through the scope at 60x magnification, but this wasn't a satisfactory view. Then at about 17:10 they lifted off for no apparent reason and flew towards us and landed only 30 metres in front of us. The AGP (if the record is accepted) was quickly picked out with two PGPs in front of it for comparison. A very distinctive bird. The pale supercilium, more white on the face, very dumpy, different pattern on the breast, apparently shorter legs, different wing projection, all readily seen through the scope at effectively point blank range. A nice bird for my birthday. I seem to making a recent habit of this, with Laughing Gull a couple of years ago and Slaty-backed Gull last year (although not exactly on the day).

I was surprised at how many of the PGPs had breeding plumage to some extent, with one bird very much advanced. In WA, as a general rule I am used to Grey Plovers (and I think PGPs but I don't see them as much) leaving with none or very little breeding plumage, but returning with a lot of breeding plumage.

I spent Saturday mostly around the Royal NP. A pleasant walk in a few places. I met Roger & Louise McGovern who I hadn't seen for about 10 years. They had just seen a female Rose Robin at the picnic area at Lady Carrington Drive. A CBOC group had also seen one at the Wattle Forest picnic area where I had been earlier. I missed, but that is life. Still it was very good to see Satin Bowerbirds, Azure Kingfisher, White-throated Treecreeper, Rufous Fantail, Eastern Yellow Robin among others and about seven species of butterfly.

On Sunday I did go down to Barren Grounds. Very different to my memories from the early 1990s when I was there. Generally quiet (I didn't get there until 10am), but great weather for walking and some birds such as Beautiful Firetail at point blank range, many Little Wattlebirds showing how different they are to Western Wattlebirds over here, many Yellow-faced Honeyeaters, etc. A few butterflies. A bird with a distinct chestnut rump flew across the track in the low heath where the firetail was (about 100 metres from the lodge). As far as I know, Chestnut-rumped and Shy Heathwrens don't occur there (different habitats to other places I have seen them). So maybe Brown Thronbill similar to Inland Thornbill here in the SW? Unless the eastern form of White-browed Scrubwren has a chestnut rump? It didn't reappear in the next ten minutes.

A quick visit to Minnamurra Falls was almost birdless but a few butterflies in the sunlight. I was last there in 1966!!

Fortunately I left for the airport early, and refuelled in Rockdale on the way, as the airport was almost in gridlock after the attack by bikies at the airport. It took an hour for the last kilometre.