birding-aus

4wd hire

To: "Ed Parnell" <>, <>
Subject: 4wd hire
From: "Peter Abbott" <>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 12:19:30 +1100
Ed. The other alternative is to hire a 4WD campervan.

We took one of these around sections of the Kimberley and had no problems at all getting around. The vehicle had dual 90 Litre diesel tanks so could stay out for a while in between fuelling stops. We picked ours up through Britz and spent most of the time off the bitumen. They have some areas of the country where they do not permit travel but this does depend on current road conditions - we had no restrictions at all for the Kimberley in the dry season, for example.

One downside is that the vans only carry one spare tyre. We took insurance which covered tyre repair and underbody damage. Rates are probably higher than for a 'normal' 4WD but we would seriously consider doing it again.

A curious point was that the vast majority of 4WD campers on the road were hired by European visitors, not Australian residents.

Peter