birding-aus

AGP

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: AGP
From: Phil Straw <>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 22:46:35 +1100
Of all the descriptions and analysis of the AGP I like Dee's the best. It is what attracts ones attention to such rarities. The best thing about such birds is that it gets people looking at common birds as a comparison - so many interesting birds are missed because people don't really know enough to see the subtle differences. Over the years it has not been so much an increase in the numbers of vagrants visiting NSW but a higher awareness by observers coupled with the aid of high resolution digital photography. For example all of my 'photographs' of the 1994 bird didn't come out because the film didn't wind on (it was raining when I hurriedly loaded the film). Good job Dion prepared a description for the rarities committee! However it was the jiz that attracted my attention to the bird more or less as Dee described. We also didn't have a library of books to compare - sometimes a good thing!

By the way Dee, what are you doing back in Sydney?

Cheers

Phil Straw
Coordinator
Asia Pacific Shorebird Network