birding-aus

Chestnut-rumped Heathwren at Wyanbene (NSW) [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

To: COG List <>
Subject: Chestnut-rumped Heathwren at Wyanbene (NSW) [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: Marnix Zwankhuizen <>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 09:59:53 +1100

UNCLASSIFIED

Hi all,

After some welcome rain the night before I headed off from Canberra for the southern Tallaganda range (SE of Canberra) yesterday morning. The route I took was down the Captain’s Flat Rd to Captain’s Flat, then the Braidwood Rd over Parker’s Gap to where it joins the Cooma Rd. Then south along the Cooma Rd (Shoalhaven Valley) stopping at Berlang, Wyanbene and Snowball. Then over Pikes Saddle (Badja) skimming the edge of Deua NP and then up Slap Up Fire Trail in Gourock NP. Followed this rocky trail over Slap Up Mtn and Anembo Mtn and then down Anembo Rd. Then back north to Captain’s Flat.

The highlight was good views of an adult Chestnut-rumped Heathwren just off Wallaby Hill Rd at Wyanbene. It was on the edge of a large expanse of allocasuarina nana dwarf heath high on a ridge. It gave it’s scrubwren-like scolding call. I think the altitude is around 800-900m. Nearby in flowering banksia was a male Crescent Honeyeater and some New Holland Honeyeaters among others and Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos. Also stopped to watch a large snake crossing the road. Grey-brown above with yellow-cream underbelly. It was in the allocasuarina heath. Copperhead or Eastern Brown? Any comments welcome. When I got near it rocketed back across in the road into cover. An Echidna was busy nearby.

Earlier along Rocky Pic Rd in Tallaganda NP I was able to ‘squeak’ in a male Olive Whistler, a Rose Robin and several Eastern Whipbirds. No sign of any Pilotbirds this year. Superb Lyrebirds were in full song and a family of three Crested Shrike-tits was a great discovery. A Wedge-tailed Eagle soaring above Carwoola and a dozen Dusky Woodswallows along the roadside.

No sign of any honeyeater migration as yet although there were many Yellow-faced Honeyeaters, White-naped Honeyeaters and White-eared Honeyeaters at Berlang (Deua NP) along the Shoalhaven in flowering eucalypts.

A pair of Crested Pigeons at Togganoggera. Not sure whether they are expanding their range down the Shoalhaven valley. Several Scarlet Robins at Krawarree.

Along Slap Up Fire Trail (Gourock NP) I stopped every couple of hundred metres. At least 4 Spotted Quail-thrush at 3 locations. Some 14 Flame Robins, 4 Gang-gang Cockatoos, again Superb Lyrebirds sighted and heard, a large feral pig, 6 Satin Bowerbirds, another Rose Robin and a family of Olive Whistlers (male, female and juvenile) which came within two metres affording excellent views. Also no less than three Echidnas.

Cheers

Marnix Zwankhuizen | Senior Analyst | Java Enterprise Technology
Australian Electoral Commission | PO Box 6172 | Kingston ACT 2604 |
Phone +61 2 6271 4465 | Fax +61 2 6271 4644 | E-mail

UNCLASSIFIED

DISCLAIMER:

If you have received this transmission in error please notify us immediately on (02) 6271 4777 or by return email and delete all copies. If this email or any attachments have been sent to you in error, that error does not constitute waiver of any confidentiality, privilege or copyright in respect of information in the email or attachments.