birding-aus

Strange Pacific Golden Plover at Boat Harbour, Sydney

To: "Stephen Ransom" <>, <>
Subject: Strange Pacific Golden Plover at Boat Harbour, Sydney
From: "Troy Mutton" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 09:18:22 +1100
Hi Steve,

I wouldn't bother paying to get in - it's $20 or something, when there's a
perfectly fine free option. I also don't have a 4wd, so probably wouldn't
actually make it to the beach. Here's what I sent to another birder on Saturday.

To get there, drive along Captain Cook Drive out to Kurnell, and when you see
the Desalination Plant sign, turn right. Follow this road (I think it's Sir
Joseph Banks Drive) to the end, and turn right into a fairly windy, many speed
humped single lane road. Theres a carpark at the end. Get out, and walk down to
the water which is ahead and to the right. You should see a track, the Coastal
Track, running up through the heath. Follow this for ~1 km as it winds along
the cliff top, and down in to Boat Harbour. There's a few shanty houses there.
With these houses to your back, and looking out to sea, you'll see a great big
rock platform to the right - the bird will be there. The bird has been in a
couple of spots - there's a blue sign saying "Boat Harbour Marine Park" or
something, and theres some rocks piled up. If conditions are right, you can
hide behind these rocks and get some shots. This morning it was out toward
Merries Reef which is further to the right of there. This all makes sense once
you get there :)

And to anyone else interested, I've gathered my shots of the bird together into
a set, including some from the previous week showing the difference in tarsus
length and primary projection on my flickr site here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrtroy/sets/72157615268226094/

Cheers
Troy