birding-aus

A Queer Bird Enqury

To: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Subject: A Queer Bird Enqury
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 13:08:28 +0800 (WST)
I recall reading somewhere in Konrad Lorenz's works that male homosexual
pairings are
quite common in geese (forget species but I think observed in Iceland and
northern
tundra conditions).  However these often end up as trios when a female falls
for one of
the pair and somehow insinuates herself into the situation. The interesting
thing is
that trios (male + male+female)are much more successful than male-female pairs
when it
comes to rearing young. Three to share brooding and care of young in a world
full of
predators.

Domestic geese are usually set up with one gander and two or three geese, but
they are
not really polygamous, and one surplus goose can end up much pecked and bullied.

Anthea Fleming