birding-aus

Fork-tailed Swifts, White-throated Needletails and your records.

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Fork-tailed Swifts, White-throated Needletails and your records.
From: Michael Tarburton <>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 09:25:05 +1100
G'day birding-Aus members

The data you have placed on this list or elsewhere and that which has been sent to me directly has been used for a paper that has just been accepted for J. Austn Field Ornithology, which provides a rationale for why the last emigrants of both species is most often recorded in southern Australia, whereas the first arrivals are usually recorded in northern Australia.

The data is now being used to show whether or not there has been a decline in numbers in both species. As I go through the Atlas records (First, second and current atlas) I find most records do not give numbers or approximations of numbers observed. So if you have sent data to the atlas (no matter how long ago) and you did not provide the numbers seen, would you please try to find time to send me (directly) those numbers and the date and I will be able to match it up.

If you have any old records that were never sent to the atlas I would also love to hear from you with those data.

Last point: many atlas records were provided with dates that were for days, weeks or months and so are useless for determining where the first and last were seen in a particular region. I wowoulduld love to receive any precise date for old or recent data also.

Other researchers would also benefit if data you send to one of the Atlases has numbers and more precise dates. Precise dates are most important for migrants.

Many thanks for all the swift data supplied so far.

Happy birding

Mike

Michael Tarburton