birding-aus

Re: rainbow lorikeet removal in unwanted areas

To: "'John Leonard'" <>, "'Birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Re: rainbow lorikeet removal in unwanted areas
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 18:18:31 +1100
John,

Generally speaking, birds have similar senses of smell and taste to humans.

I'm not sure what sedative they will be using on the Rainbow Lorikeets, but
one that is commonly used for birds is ketamine hydrochloride. I used it
many years ago when, as a zoology honours student at Uni of WA, I had to
sedate emus.

Alpha-chloralose is also used sometimes, but is less reliable because it can
have varying effects on individuals of the same species, ranging from no
effect at all through to death from overdosing.

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde, NSW