birding-aus

Yellow Wagtails WTP

To: "'Tim Dolby'" <>, "'Birding Australia'" <>, <>
Subject: Yellow Wagtails WTP
From: "Jeff Davies" <>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 14:51:52 +1100
G'day Tony,

This bird appears to have moulted in a gorget with its fresh breeding
plumage. Following Alstrom and Mild 2003 where they say for simillima
"generally lacking a dark spotted necklace" then this bird would have to be
considered nom tschutschensis. The qualifier to all this is in their next
line where they say "In our opinion simillima is not safely separable from
other populations of tschutschensis. In direct comparison of a long series
of specimens, birds from Kamchatka differ slightly on average from birds
from the Chukotsky Peninsula". When discussing simillima they also say for
adult male ( which this probably is based on the clean grey head ) "shows on
average slightly paler grey forehead, crown and nape: marginally brighter
greener upperparts , purer white and more distinctly set-off upper throat:
and usually no dark spotted necklace as shown in most specimens from north
east Russia and Alaska."  So the necklace is the key here and I feel
probably determines it as nom Tschutschensis. As for the other features they
are so relative that without a reference collection of skins laying on the
ground around the Werribee bird they are difficult to judge, although the
bird is probably not as bright yellow as some of the simillima photos I have
on file.

To travel or not to travel is your call Tony, cheers Jeff.