birding-aus

Gloucester NSW birding

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Gloucester NSW birding
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 22:21:43 +1100

Gloucester (Mid-north coast, NSW) where it rains and rains. Wish some of it would go south-west.

Was out with the Manning Valley birders yesterday and today and saw some nice birds. Nothing as spectacular as a Saunders Gull or even a Lewin's Rail but -

Saturday 21 Feb at a property on Bowman River Road, White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike, Crested Shrike-tit, Southern Emu-wren and Cicadabird, all not often seen and a first record for this site. Also the migrants - both Monarchs including immature Black-faced, and lots of Rufous Fantails. A small family of Brown Quail walked up the woodland path in front of us when we were having morning tea on the terrace - giving some people a chance to have a close look.

Today, Sunday 22 Feb, we went to Copeland State Conservation Reserve, west of Gloucester. Very gloomy and overcast but fortunately no rain, but this meant several birds one expects to hear or see were absent. Only pigeon was White-headed and no cuckoos, but we did see a Catbird, 6 Brush Turkeys, Brown Goshawk, 2 Russet-tailed Thrush, and Logrunners. Lyrebirds and Brown Pigeons were seen by others further up the Scone road beyond the old gold mine walking track. After heavy rain Saturday night the creek was runny higher than I have ever seen it and the birds nest ferns are looking magnificent.

Happy birding all