birding-aus

Snipe at Pinegrove Road, Armidale

To: <>
Subject: Snipe at Pinegrove Road, Armidale
From: scott butcher <>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 09:00:45 +0000
Earlier this morning I visited a great looking shallow pond at Pinegrove road
on the outskirts of Armidale and after a short period of looking came across a
single snipe in short reeds, after a further few minutes and much to my suprise
I ended up up with a total of nine snipe in this one shallow roadside
pond/wetland. I was blown away and although I wouldn't be that keen to specify
exactly which of the snipe species this was, they certianly were not painted
snipe. I would appreciate any feedback from people. I dont really know if this
sighting is all that unusual. But as I have only really had good views of a
snipe once way back in NZ, this was the first sighting that I have had of a
group of this size in Australia. If anyone lives close by and could have a look
at these birds I would like to know what others ID these birds as.

The pond is easy to find as its right beside the road and the only one if its
size and habitat quality on Pinegrove road.

Scott Butcher

Time for a change? SEEK and you shall find.
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fmsn%2Eseek%2Eco%2Enz%2FID%5FSEEKNZMAIN%5FUSR%2FPages%2Falliance%5Fhomepage%2Eascx%3FComeFrom%3Dmsnnz%26tracking%3Dsk%3Atl%3Asknz%3Amsnnz%3A0%3Ahottag%3Aflirt&_t=757263783&_r=SEEKNZ_tagline&_m=EXT==============================www.birding-aus.org