birding-aus

Re: Plains wanderers

Subject: Re: Plains wanderers
From: jay jay <>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 14:12:20 +1100
The photo is really bad to the point the DECC guy at Griffith reckoned it
was stubble quail because of the white on its front.  What he was seing as
front in the photo I sent DECC was actually the left shoulder and left wing
as the bird was at a 45 degree angle to me, had filtered sunlight on him and
'froz' in the shade of a silky oak (that destroys the small shrub claim) -
then he ran again.  Also, I have a tremor in my right arm so imagine me
taking a digital pic on a very basic and small digital camera - and
shaking.  That made the bird look fatter than he was.  I have decided to get
a disposable camera and lay in wait as that sort of camera might be better
given my tremor.  (And no one can say then I have altered any digital
image.)

I know what quail look like.  These birds that were here were plaisn
wanderers.  That band on Her neck is unmistakeable as are his features
especially the trim profile in comparision to quails and long legs and him
getting taller as he freezes pre running for cover.

That boy bird was very funny that day (8th Feb) .  I havent seen him since
though and it hasnt been as hot.  I did discover a black rats nest out the
front though so have laid baits for it and they have been taken.  Lots of
thirsty creatures around.

Anyway, if I can verify my two sightings of the PW with a decent photo I
will let DECC and area bird watchers plus our local ecologist know
immediately but DECC (the x spurts) reckon my photo is of stubble quail (not
very scientific of them given its just a bad image of a PW), so my photo
stays here.

I am just a sometimes bird watcher as I sit on my verandah and we get a lot
of birds in my area as a lot of tall plus smaller trees, plus near a creek
plus its old wetland that is now paddocks, but I was aware as a result of my
first sighting years back that the PW were endangered hence me notifying
this second sighting now I know what they are.  I notified the first
sighting years ago to NP Tumut too but they didnt pass that unverified
sighting on.

My area at Gundagai is on the edge of town with paddocks nearby so I guess,
there could be other groups of PW in similar areas around here.  There are
quail down at the back of the shops so if anyone comes looking, they are not
my PW.

Best wishes
jacqui