birding-aus

Currawong leg/foot problem

To: Ákos Lumnitzer <>, <>
Subject: Currawong leg/foot problem
From: "Jackett family" <>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 19:06:50 +1100
Hi Akos

I am no expert but I do rehab birds for WIRES also.  This looks possibly
like mites which get under the skin, and I have seen it in reptiles where
they get under the scales and the scales have a lifted terraced appearance
similar to this.  This looks like a very serious case though.  A good avian
vet could diagnose it for you and as you suggested it may be a fungal
infection or even the pox virus.  Do you have an experienced bird carer in
your branch?  You could also put it on the WIRES Intranet for discussion.

Regards,

Carla Jackett