birding-aus

bird die-offs in Australia- request for info and pics

Subject: bird die-offs in Australia- request for info and pics
From: Blair Wolf <>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 14:07:52 -0700
Hi there,

I am new to the list and are hoping that the members can help out.  I am
interested in the behaviour and physiology of birds that live in the hotter
regions of the world.  In particular, I have been looking at how global
warming will affect bird populations.

Australia is notable because it has a significant recorded history 1900-1950
in particular) of bird die-offs associated with high temperatures and
drought in the interior.  I am hoping the list members can help me document
the effects of current / future heat waves and droughts on bird populations
in Australia. I would also be interested in any old references in regional
bird publications or newspapers that might talk about the historical
die-offs that occurred between 1900 and 1932. Any current pictures or
written accounts would be a great help and I would give the appropriate
credit for the materials when used for publication or presentations.  I have
a few pictures from the recent heat wave in western Australia, but the
documentation and overall scope of the event is really sketchy.
Thanks for your assistance.

You can send pictures or text to my email at

P. S.  I am the coordinator of SORA (http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/search.php)
a free bird literature database that you may find handy if you haven't seen
it.

Cheers,

Blair Wolf

Biology Department