birding-aus

Lord Howe Rat Eradication

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Lord Howe Rat Eradication
From: Dave Torr <>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 12:47:59 +1100
Following on from my earlier enquiry to BirdingAus I followed up some
suggested leads and have had this reply.

<>

Hi Dave

The rodent eradication program is still in the planning and research phase
and will require approval at state and federal levels and funding prior to
commencement.

It is true that our preferred method of eradication will necessitate as many
Woodhens & LHI Currawongs as possible to be held in captivity during the
operation. This is to ensure they are not negatively impacted during the
baiting period.

Our target date for undertaking the project is winter 2011, although this is
subject to obtaining the relevant approvals and funding.  Should we
encounter any problems in obtaining either of these the date will most
likely be later.

Should you have any enquiries in regard to this matter please feel free to
contact me

Hank Bower

Acting Manager Environment/World Heritage

Lord Howe Island Board

PO Box 5 Lord Howe Island

NSW 2898