birding-aus

Gardens as Habitat for Native Birds

Subject: Gardens as Habitat for Native Birds
From: Mark Bennett <>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 14:24:16 +1100
Stephen,

That's a wonderful effort and thanks for taking the time to post - very
inspirational.

Re Brown Thornbills, I get regular visits in my garden in Blackburn (E.
Melbourne) despite not (yet) having much dense shrubbery. They seem to
inhabit the "middle storey" - even of quite open small trees. They are also
attracted to a water dish my parents put out for them in Camberwell around
1.5m off the ground. WBSW is an occasional but welcome visitor there :) They
may like moist, mulched ground (good luck this Summer) to forage in with
some overhead cover from predators?

Happy gardening and birding,

Mark