birding-aus

Disturbances to Urban Waterbirds

To: "'Jon '" <>, <>
Subject: Disturbances to Urban Waterbirds
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 05:42:03 +1100
Thanks Jon, that's very interesting. I agree with your comments about the
stilts. They are very flighty birds at most locations.

I'm aware that the WBR is a favoured roost site for Bar-tailed Godwits and
Sharp-tailed Sandpipers. However, last Friday I only saw two Sharp-tailed
Sandpipers and there were no godwits. I put it down to the fact that the
water levels were extremely low in the wetland. I was at the Mason Park
wetland last Tuesday morning with Jeanie Muspratt from Strathfield Council
and there were quite a few Sharpies there still. Unfortunately, on that day
we did not have time to count the birds at the Mason Park wetlands.

Cheers,

Stephen Ambrose

Ryde, NSW

  _____