birding-aus

NSW, Sydney, UNSW campus - Fork-tailed Swifts

To: <>
Subject: NSW, Sydney, UNSW campus - Fork-tailed Swifts
From: "Frank Hemmings" <>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 09:39:40 +1100
Morning all,

This morning first saw c.5 swifts at 6:40am near the gym at UNSW.  No bins and
lighting made it ahrd to tell, but they seemed slimmer than needletails.  When
I came out from the gym at 8:45 I saw them again, only more, and got views of
some that were good enough to tell that these were Fork-tailed Swifts.  By the
time I got to my office it was obvious that they were hanging around rather
than mooving through, as they were at the top end of the campus, and could be
seen in both directions from the building.  I walked outside (with bins by now)
to have a better look and estimtated that there must have been at least 50 at
one point out the front of the campus and over Randwick Racecourse, some flying
quite low showing all diagnostic features.  Not a disingle WTNT amongst them as
far as I can tell.  Definitley a first for my eastern suburbs and UNSW lists!
Cheers,

Frank

(Mr.) Frank Hemmings
Curator
John T. Waterhouse Herbarium
School of Biological, Earth and Environmental Sciences
University of New South Wales
UNSW SYDNEY 2052
AUSTRALIA

Tel +61 2 9385 3274